Pomaria

I finished my last day at Pomaria Primary School today.  What a bittersweet moment.  I am getting closer and closer to seeing my family and friends again, but I have to leave Mrs. S's wonderful Room 4 students.  As the four of us at Pomaria were meeting with Principal Choromanski this afternoon, he thanked us for the impact we have had on Pomaria.  It really is amazing how much impact you can have and how much you can BE impacted in just six weeks.  I am so grateful that I was able to be at this school, surrounded by staff who were always so kind and welcoming, and by children who love you unconditionally!  I absolutely love the job that I am going to have one day.  And I just feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to get to know the sweet kids at Pomaria!  


This was Monday morning- Vai and Mikaere saw me come through the office and walk towards our room, and sprinted after me to show me the gutterball board that they painted the previous Friday.  They were SO excited to show me.  Vai had had the idea to paint the class's gutterball board last Wednesday when Mrs. S was on release, and he asked me if we could paint it.  I told him that I was sure Mrs. S would let him paint it, and he then said that he would ask her first thing the next morning!  And she of course let them paint it. It turned out pretty cool!  They absolutely love gutterball.  Mikaere taught me how to play one of the first weeks I was there...and they all creamed me!


Wednesday morning the four of us (Allie, Kara, Katie and I) brought morning tea for the staff.  Usually every Wednesday they not only have morning tea with Milo, coffee and tea, but they all bring a dish to share.  So we decided to put on morning tea for the staff of Pomaria to say thank you!  I made Abby's amazing oatmeal toffee chocolate chip cookies- they were delicious.  I think those cookies will always be my favorite...


Also on Wednesday, we finally got a whole class picture with the kids in their uniforms.  This is out the side of our class room.  Front row: Carlos, Vince, Aranee, Luminita, Lyncy, Dion.  Second row: Shaynal, Blayne, Mehul, Nina, Mia, Fine.  Third row: Devante, Summer, Milly, Shona, Carol, Serafina.  Back row: Sharyn, Soana, Laurence, Mikaera, Vai.

Renee Stockenstroom (Mrs. S) and me!  She is SO great.

Shona and Serafina

Vai and Mikaere

Summer and Milly

Mrs. S and her daughter Che

The kids were having so much fun with my camera...



I just love Sharyn.  She is the sweetest.

So today as I was walking to the staff room to eat lunch, Mrs. S told me that I needed to meet with Sue Wilson (our Deputy Principal).  I thought that was a little strange, and definitely wondered if something was going on...sure enough, when I walked into Sue's office, we sat down, chatted for a little while, and then she told me the reason I was there was for her to distract me. haha.  Luminita came down, after I witnessed Sue give a few boys a good talking to about not beating each other up, and informed us that they were ready for me.  So I walked down and into Room 4, and hear this big "SURPRISE!!!"  All the kids are at their desks with plates, and I look over and there is all this food in the middle of the room!! Mrs. S had me sit down, and I was just so overwhelmed!  The kids all came up, gave me tons of 'cuddles', and Mrs. S told me how this is the true Kiwi way of saying goodbye!  Of course it's with food- everything is with food here! haha.  But she gave me the cutest portfolio with our class picture on the front, and then hearts with pictures and messages from each of the students.  It was the sweetest thing.  As soon as I started reading the notes, tears came to my eyes.  All the kids of course were staring at me, watching my every move as I opened the presents and notes, and once they noticed me crying, someone shouted out "SEE!  She's crying!  I told you she was gonna cry!"  It was pretty funny.  That helped me gain some composure and thank everyone for everything!  A few of the students gave me some little presents and other notes.  And then Mrs. S gave me another present!  She has just done too much for me. 


Sharyn was the designated photographer :)  This is me opening my present from Mrs. S!


It's a glass Kiwi! I love it- I will have that forever.  Oh and also I am wearing a lolly necklace that Nana Tui gave me- she had Milly put it on me once I sat down.



Nana Tui blessing the food- she said a traditional Maori blessing!




After we all ate, I had my meeting with Kevin Choromanski, and then Mrs. S had more treats for everyone!  All the kids had ice blocks outside before the bell rang.  And of course they wanted to take more pictures :)



The bell rang to dismiss them, and that is when the tears came for me...they all lined up and gave me the BEST hugs and thanked me and told me how much they were going to miss me...I couldn't take it!  I am going to miss these kids so much.  It's just so sad because once I leave New Zealand, I will more than likely never see them again!  But I do hope that they will never forget Miss Johnson.

In the meeting with Kevin this afternoon, he told us how we have become a part of Pomaria, and it will always be home.  I truly believe that!  Pomaria Primary School has made a lasting impact on me.  Not just as a teacher, but as a person.  I am going to miss this school and these amazing kids so much.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

Luanne said...

Rebecca, I totally teared up as I read this...You have had such an amazing experience there teaching those beautiful kids and learning from all those wonderful people. thank you for sharing this blog...It has been so uplifting and exciting to share this with you. Love and miss you! Aunt Lu

Post a Comment