Science and Social Studies!

I cannot believe how fast this week came and went...I have been living in New Zealand for 3 1/2 weeks now!  But I am so happy to say that we are done with classes!  I still have one more big assignment to do for social studies, and we have a lot of assignments to do while we're in the schools, but no more sitting for 6 1/2 hours every day!  Even though I have really loved all our classes.  And Dr. Jacobs says that we had the 'best of the best' for our teachers. I believe it!


This week was Social Studies and Science.  It is amazing how much you can learn in just six days.  I am excited to take everything I have learned and bring it into my own classroom.  Alexis Siteine taught us Social Studies, and Ian Milne taught Science.  We did so many fun science experiments with him that we now have as resources for our classrooms!  It was a lot of fun to watch him do the experiments too, because you could just tell how passionate he was about primary science education.  I just finished my personal philosophy paper last night, so I don't feel like saying everything I learned again! haha.  But he was great.  



We did a little experiment with dissolving...this would be SO fun and engaging with primary school children, because we all had so much fun with it! haha.  


Pretty cool picture, huh? I love my camera!


We also dissolved Ginger Nut cookies...can you see me? haha. 


Nancy and me!


We also made volcanoes!  They were so simple...a little messy, but kids would love it!


Anna could not have timed this picture better! haha

We had fun this week in Science.  I am excited to foster my students' natural curiosity as they learn about the world around them in my class :)  On Thursday we had to teach a science lesson to a small group, and getting to finally be up at the board teaching again was so exciting.  I am anxious to find out what grade I will be teaching at Pomaria Primary school!  We start February 14th- Valentine's Day! And after we get back from the South Island on February 9th, we have Thursday to relax, and then Friday morning at 10:15am I go to Pomaria to meet the principal and all the teachers.  We also get to stay for 'morning tea' :)  I'm so excited!

Social Studies was also such a wonderful class.  It is amazing to see how when the teacher is passionate about what she teaches, the students also become passionate about the subject.  Alexis was incredible.  I learned so much about the importance of teaching my students to become 'critical, active, informed, and responsible citizens'.  We did this activity the first day where we reflected on our own social studies education, and I was reminded of the wonderful teachers I have had throughout my education.  I am so thankful for all the teachers I have had; the good and the bad.  But mostly the good :)  Especially in elementary school--all my teachers were so great.  I think that has a lot to do with why I have always wanted to go into elementary education.  Mrs. Hunter, Mr. Skelton, Mrs. Durham...I was so lucky! 







  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment