Skydiving and Bungee Jumping- Feb. 1st and 2nd in Queenstown

On February 2, 2011, I, Rebecca Memselle Johnson, jumped out of a plane!!! At 8 am, the 8 of us who signed up for skydiving walked over to nzone, the company we skydived with.  One 20 minute van ride later, we were looking at the planes we were about to jump from!  Katie and I were separated from the rest of the group and were put on the plane after everyone else, so we got to take some great pictures of them getting all dressed and ready to go!  Katie and I got a few too before we locked up her camera.  We got all dressed and ready, met our professional tandem partner, and walked out to the plane!  My partner was Kelsey, a guy from Arkansas who has skydived almost 8,000 times!! Crazy!  But he was so nice, and made it so fun for me.  Up in the plane I was super shaky and nervous, but laughing at the same time as I looked out the window.  I was the first to jump out, so I was sitting right next to the translucent door on my right! haha.  As we took off, I knew there was no going back, and that's when I started feeling nervous- but so excited at the same time.  Before I knew it, the door was open, and Kelsey was telling me to look out.  It was a gorgeous view over Lake Wakatipu, which is the huge lake that Queenstown surrounds.  We skydived right next to the lake over the land obviously.  But it was like one second I was sitting looking out over the edge, and the next I was falling, looking up at the plane, then down at the ground, free falling for 25 seconds!  haha.  I can't believe that I did it.  But it was so fun!  And after the free fall, we parachuted down for probably 5 minutes or so, and Kelsey let me fly the parachute!  Nicole had my camera, and got some great pictures of my landing!



On our way to the nzone skydiving location!



Here we go!!!





That's me! I even got a green parachute! My favorite color! haha



Coming in for landing!



Katie and me right after we landed!



Needless to say, I am so happy that I went skydiving!  :)

When we got back from skydiving, we all felt so tired- we had been on an adrenaline high all morning, and now we were just exhausted.  But at noon, we went on a drive to Lake Wanaka, about 2 hours away from Queenstown.  On the way we stopped at this cool illusion museum kind of place, called Puzzling World.  We spent about a hour and half there, walking around and looking at the all the optical illusions that gave me a headache by the end!  But it was fun! haha.


Oh also on the way, we stopped at a local fruit stand, which had the most amazing apples, plums, and apricots!  We all bought lots of yummy fruit to snack on all week.  


These little yellow plums were my favorite!  This is me and Neeley Knuth, who I love!  She is so sweet.

After we got back to Queenstown that night, everyone went to Fergburger for dinner- it was THE best burger I have ever had!  Katie and I split the Southern Swine- and it was delicious :)  I wish I had a picture! haha.

Wednesday, February 2: BUNGEE JUMPING!
I woke up that morning with a pit in my stomach...I was really nervous.  Way more nervous than I was for skydiving.  Probably because I have a hard time jumping off Abby's lake dock...how did I think I would be able to jump off a bridge 43 meters above water???  But I did it!  And it was so much fun!  Aussie, the guy who stood by me, helped me shuffle out to the edge, then after I posed for pictures, he said, "Alright, act like you want it! 5, 4, 3, 2, 1."  And I JUMPED!  It definitely helped to have seen the other girls in our group jump with such confidence.  Every single one of us, 16 girls, bungee jumped.  No other group that has been to NZ have ALL bungee jumped.  But we did :)  Pretty exciting. And I decided to buy the pictures...I wasn't going to, but then I saw the ones of me, and I loved them, so I got them!  And I have no regrets.  I am so happy that I bought them.  This was a huge accomplishment for me!









It was SO FUN!












  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment